Featured Post

IVE MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

Robin Williams' Top 5 Greatest Films (to a 90's Kid!)


Today, we lost one of the greatest human beings on this planet. Not to get too sentimental but in all sincerity, Robin Williams played a huge part in shaping many of our childhoods. So hearing the news of his sudden death was undoubtedly the most devastating, tragic, and painful shot to the heart I have felt in a while from the news of a "celebrity's" death. But mind you, Robin was more than a household name or a comic genius but a man with boundless integrity, heart, and wisdom. I cannot even fathom a pint of the immense pain he must have been going through but I thank him for helping many of us see the humor and horror within us all in his iconic characters that will never be forgotten. In memory of his passing, I have compiled a list of his films that has touched me so dearly and clips from each one of those films.







2) Hook (1991)




I own this movie on VHS and have watched it so many times, I can recite to you the whole script. (But don't test me!) There is such a magical quality about this film that I hold so dearly to my heart. Maybe, it is nostalgia but everything about this film IS perfection from it's script, cast, story, and just the tone. This is Steven Spielberg at his prime!! It helped create a generation of kids who if you screamed "Rufio" or "Bangarang" to, they would've totally nodded in agreement and no other words would've been necessary. I thank Williams for helping me harvest the kid in me all while conquering the deep seeded fear of being an "adult." 


3) Aladdin (1992)





Robin Williams and Jim Carrey are comic legends to me who exude such unparalleled enthusiasm and charisma that they could instantaneously make any film better just by their performance. William's performance as Genie exploded with vehement energy and vitality! Just listen to him sing and rant and shout! Even if his image is masked behind an animated cartoon, his vibrant personality will pierce right through any cynical person's heart. GUARNTEED!

4) One Hour Photo (2002)



After watching him in countless children movies, I had rented at the prime age of 11 to see Robin Williams in what seemed to be another incredible performance regardless of the genre. Or at least show a different range of his talent. (SPOILER): I was not only scarred to the core but it was the first time I had ever seen someone give or receive a blow job. And to make matters worse, my parents had walked into the room during that scene in which I quickly fast-forwarded till index finger could not bend any further. Of course, seeing how this particular scene was the climax, I had to excuse myself to another room so I can resume watching this unrelentingly haunting film about a lonely and creepy man all while being a pervert myself unwilling to let go of the movie till I saw the conclusion!


5) Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)



THIS SCENE. I DIE!! ( I watched this like 20 times already. Someone stop me!!)





This entire film cracks me up so damn much, I cannot even begin to name the endless humorous one-liners that is blurted by Williams. This may be one of his most iconic roles and it's no surprise. JUST LOOK AT THE MAN! 

As you can see, I was a baby of the 90s. But I am not forgetting other iconic roles of his like in Jack (1996), Flubber (1997), Good Will Hunting (1997), What Dreams May Come (1998), Patch Adams (1998) and others which I have not seen like Mork & Mindy, Dead Poets Society (1989), and The Fisher King (1991). I really need to see these ASAP. Also, be sure to check out Netflix considering that most of his films are streaming! 

Also I'm going to take the time out to say that even though I have no say in this matter, depression is not something to be ashamed of and if you encounter someone or (if yourself) suffers from depression, have the strength to ask for help because people will be there to help you even if you don't think so in the slightest. I cannot express the amount of sadness that overwhelmed me hearing that Williams committed suicide but despite that fact, I always like to think about people in their best moments and reflect on the immense impact Williams has made in everyone's lives. It has been said that pure comedy comes from a place of darkness and I don't doubt that. I can only be thankful that as a performer who is most well known for his comedic roles, he was able to show us the humanity in every role he tackled, in light and in darkness. Thank you Robin Williams. You will be greatly missed. 

0 critiques :

Post a Comment

thank you so much for visiting my site. youre freaking awesome!