Featured Post

IVE MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

New on Netflix: November 2013


I recently visited Netflix after not being on it for while and almost fainted when I realized that one of my top films of 2013, Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha was on Netflix Instant! Not even just on Netflix but it is streaming! Amazing. Then naturally, I saw a plethora of other amazing films I've been DYYYYING to see and am elated that Netflix is making my life that much easier. So here's a list of films that were newly released (see list) and some that caught my eye that I think are worth watching.

1. Frances Ha (2013, Noah Baumbach) Streaming & DVD
Surprisingly, this film vlog of mine is the most viewed on my channel and it's no wonder why because this is one of his most accomplished films to date. It resonants on so many levels. A

2. Only God Forgives (2013, Nicholas Winding Refn) Streaming & DVD
I actually enjoyed this one (peep this review) despite that after my first viewing of Drive, I was one of the few that didn't like it as much. Only God Forgives on the other hand, really was like a perfect acid dream. B+ 

3. Europa Report (2013, Sebastian Cordero) Streaming & DVD
Europa Report showed at LAFF '13 and I should have done a review of this but obviously got too lazy (not a good enough reason!). But no doubt, this was one of the best low budget science fiction stories I've seen in a while. It plays on the reality of being in space and all the responsibilities and risks that come with the challenges of venturing in space. I loved it for the sheer fact that it didn't go for cheap tricks but just told the story like it is through found footage. A

4. Pacific Rim (2013, Guillermo del Toro) DVD
Pacific Rim was one of the big blockbusters this past summer that I truly loved (oogle at this review) Despite what other film critics say, this is one film in which the CGI overrides the story content and makes the movie that much better. Definitely worth watching but please watch it on the big screen with a deafening sound system. B+

5. The Heat (2013, Paul Feig) DVD
This estrogen-charged buddy cop film couldn't have been done better than Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Even though, they followed a lot of buddy cop genre conventions, it was hilarious and refreshing to see these two unlikely pairs in action. (Gander at this reviewB-

6. Blackfish (2013, Gabriela Cowperthwaite) DVD
Blackfish is one of the most important documentaries to come out in 2013. Excruciatingly devastating and potent, it shatters the happy facade of SeaWorld as it unveils the horrid condition and treatment of their killer whales. I did had a little beef with the construction of this film but overall, very effective. (Sob with this review) B+

7. Prince Avalanche (2013, David Gordon Green) DVD
It is humorous and touching but this film didn't fulfill me as a viewer as much as I wanted it to. Great soundtrack from Explosions from the Sky. (Gawk at my review) B-

Other films I've been wanting to see (streaming):

What Maisie Knew (2012, Scott McGehee)
Computer Chess (!!!) (2013, Andrew Bujalski)
Kon-tiki (2012, Joachim Ronning & Espen Sandberg)
V/H/S 2 (2013, Various Filmmakers) 
A Band Called Death (2012, Mark Christopher Covino & Jeff Howlett)
Haute Cuisine (2012, Christian Vincent)

2 critiques :

Anonymous at: November 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM said...

Upstream Color?

SO. at: November 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM said...

I don't know if you'll see this but Upstream Color has been on Netflix that is why I didn't put it on this list. Great film.

Post a Comment

thank you so much for visiting my site. youre freaking awesome!