Featured Post

IVE MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

Xavier Dolan's 'Mommy' Poster & Trailer


It's HERE! I can't believe Mommy is already the young Quebecois filmmaker, Xavier Dolan's fifth feature. Mommy tied the Jury Award at this year's Cannes with Jean-Luc Godard's Goodbye to Language 3D. And that's Godard so even a tie is a great accomplishment in itself! We all know that Dolan probably has some mommy issues considering his first film was I Killed my Mother (2009) which was  semi-autographical. And although, I have not seen his first feature yet, I can already tell his mother is a sensitive subject that he wants to tackle again and again. (But who doesn't mothers?! There's not enough films about them!)


Mommy stars Anne Dorval as a widowed mother of a violent, young teenage boy name Steve, played by Antoine-Olivier Pion. She finds new hope when a mysterious neighbor inserts herself into their household. Just watching the trailer, immediately you are drawn to the refreshing yet constricting format of the "instagram-sqaure." As much as I admire that format, I enjoy that much more seeing the vast landscape and wide scenery especially  in Dolan's films, knowing that he most likely will tap into his iconic visual style to show many enthralling and transcending scenes complemented with bursts of color! 

This film is Canada's official entry to the Oscars and I hope it wins even though I haven't even seen Nuri Vilge Ceylan's Winter Sleep which won the Cannes' Palme d'Or. I really am speaking too soon because hello?! I haven't even seen either of the films! Regardless, the excitement for these foreign films is real and I hope I get to see them soon. Luckily, Roadside Attractions is bringing Mommy to U.S. screens beginning of 2015! See you then!

0 critiques :

Post a Comment

thank you so much for visiting my site. youre freaking awesome!